Religion and the media
This web page makes available to teachers high quality resources for teaching on Religion and the Media. This topic occurs in different formats on all the current GCSE Religious Studies syllabi and also as a discrete topic in the AQA Religious Studies A-Level.
These resources aim to equip teachers to critically engage with the topic of religion and the media and to challenge students to think deeply about the issues raised. The resources aim to provide teachers with a breadth of opportunity for discussion and useful starting points for examination practice.
These resources are based on a one-day conference for teachers of RE held at the University of Exeter in November 2014 and have been produced by Karen O’Donnell, in collaboration with David Horrell. The videos of the speakers are made available in the Resources for Teachers section.
This project is funded by the St. Luke’s College Foundation.
Professor David Horrell
Professor Kim Knott
Professor Francesca Stavrakopoulou
Dr David Tollerton
Resources for Teachers
Michael Wakelin - Media Engagement with Religion
- Video of Michael Wakelin’s conference presentation
- Media Engagement with Religion: teacher sheet
- Media Engagement with Religion: student activity sheet
Kim Knott - Critical Discourse Analysis
- Video of Kim Knott’s conference presentation
- Critical Discourse Analysis: teacher sheet
- Critical Discourse Analysis: student activity sheet
David Tollerton - Religion and Film
- Video of David Tollerton’s conference presentation
- Religion and Film: teacher sheet
- Religion and Film: student activity sheet
The Bible and Christian Attitudes to the Media
- The Bible and Christian Attitudes to the Media: teacher sheet
- The Bible and Christian Attitudes to the Media: student activity sheet